Sunday 29 January 2012

Staring out of the Window is also Work

Writers tend to spend a lot of time staring out of the window. What is not so widely known, is that this is part of the writing process and therefore it can be called work.

I find it very hard to write in rooms with no or very small windows. If I write in a cafe or a pub I usually choose a window seat.

Something is happening when you stare, I believe. Your thoughts reorganise themselves. One morning this week I spontaneously popped into the Medusa Bar in Preston Street for a cup of green tea (miraculously making it last for an hour and a half). In my bag I had a few sheets of poems in progress that I'd printed out. Staring at the street, staring at the sheets things started to happen, and I scribbled frenetically in the margins, making up new lines, crossing bad ones out and moving a few words around. I'd had an idea for a very long time, but didn't get anywhere with it - now I ended up with three different poems on the same theme (compliments).

I am in need of different views now and again, so it's good that Brighton & Hove have an abundance of bars, pubs and cafes. And when I do my Swenglish project I'll have a different view every week, unless someone puts me up in their basement or even worse wardrobe! (The view in the picture belongs to one of the people I'm going to stay with.)

1 comment:

  1. I always pick a window seat - on trains, planes, restaurants etc. There's always a thought to be inspired by something. Even at 35,000ft or in the dark (on urban trains) looking out of the window is interesting. It does mean that I don't read or write much on these journeys though.

    Keep on observing and don't bet on settling just yet.


    The Journal of a Recovering Taiwanoholic
    http://toby-the-ex-ex-pat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete